Thursday, August 26, 2010

Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matt 5:3



Okay so here goes...I hope for anyone that has been reading my blog that I am not confusing you. The last post I tried to quickly wrap up the last book that I just finished. I talked about the next book I have started called The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace.....loving this book!!!! I am also starting to read another book called A Beautiful Offering by Angela Thomas. At first starting out I didn't think I could read/do both books. I was originally just reading the one by Angela Thomas since that is the class I would be doing with the deacon wives at our church then I realized that they were offering this other book as a class on Wednesday nights which was a book I had already thought about reading. I am already learning so much and so excited that all I can say is thank goodness I have a blog because I want to share the things I am learning.

So hear goes.... tonight I am going to talk about a few things from the book: A Beautiful Offering. This book is about the Beatitudes and the Sermon on the Mount and puts it in to a perspective that helps us with our lives we are living today. The above scripture(title of the blog) was the first beatitude discussed. I loved it when the author said this How gently he teaches us that even in our brokeness, this life can become a beautiful offering to God. He said, first thing that when you are poor in spirit, when you are broken, when you are completely empty and without resource-especially then you are blessed. She said the verse could be translated like this: Your life is a beautiful offering to God, even when you are poor in spirit, because then you are very close to the kingdom of heaven. She also said that when everything is gone that makes more room for Him and every time there is more room for Him, you are blessed.

This author made it a point to state that many of us that grow up in christian homes or become a "christian" think life will be great after that. We think we will be happy forever, no trials to come, and singing our christian songs by the campfire but life does continue and God says...In this life will be trials of many kinds and that's where the brokeness comes in. But right here in scripture God says that we are blessed because of that. He loves us and knows we are not perfect. The author says Brokeness comes to us for many different reasons and a lot of times because of the choices we make. We look around us and know that it's not how we dreamed it, but here it is, and it's all in a million pieces. It becomes obvious that this life isn't going to be put back together like a puzzle. Somebody is going to have to start over. Wow!! Isn't that awesome that we can start over. That first means praying to God and asking for forgiveness, then turning away from the choices that got us there in the first place and sometimes means still having to work through the scars left behind. I always try to remind myself that when life is not going great, God is working every piece of it for His glory. That gives me hope for better things to come.

The next chapter focused on the scripture from the Sermon on the Mount. You are the salt of the earth......You are the light of the world. Matthew 5: 13-14 This means that as followers of Jesus/ God we are to be light in the darkness of the world. I will leave you with this. It was a little passage written at the end of the chapter I read tonight set up like a poem but didn't sound like a poem. Seems like a collection of thoughts.


It's never to late to become.

It's never to late to change.

You haven't been away too long.

His forgiveness can still cover your sin.

His love can heal your wounds.

Your life isn't too broken for Him.

As long as you have breath, it's never too late with Jesus.

He doesn't expect your offering to be perfect. He never said that it would be easy. Move toward Him, and watch Him supernaturally make you into salt and light.

Stay the path.

Let Him pick you up when you've fallen.

Face in His direction.

You may have given up on God, but He has never given up on you.

Go be the city(the light). Go be the salt.



I hope you are blessed by these thoughts as I was when I read them tonight in the book. Have a blessed weekend (it's almost here).

~Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment