Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Quest for a "Green Thumb"

About a month ago I decided to plant some flowers around our mailbox and place a stone border around it. I planted some beautiful purple and red tulips. The tulips died a week later and I found out that you are not supposed to transplant tulips from a pot to the ground at this time of year. I guess I will see if the tulips come back next year.

So this is why I am now on take 2 of trying to have beautiful flowers at our mailbox. Today I finished up the stone border, weeded (again), placed 2 bags of garden soil, planted pretty petunias, and placed mulch on top. (Sorry if this is boring to some of you :) I really hope that these flowers live because I have put alot of work into this. Every time I have done this, I end up with back and shoulder pain for which I have been going to the chiropractor. (Guess you can call me a gardening wimp.) Gardening is hard work. The next weekend that I am off I will be pulling weeds in the landscaping and putting mulch down. That will be a huge task because there are a lot of weeds to pull since I didn't get started earlier in the spring before all of the weeds had a chance to grow so much. Here are pictures from the tulips I planted that died and then the last picture is of the petunias I planted today.


Round 1 of Flower Planting 101

Red Tulips and Yellow Daphodils


Round 2 of Flower Planting 101: My Petunias

1 comment:

  1. Those look really pretty Julie. I need to do something else around our mailbox.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete